Author Topic: Engine plates  (Read 7033 times)

Kane Bell

• Guests
Engine plates
« on: June 28, 2018, 04:16:36 PM »
Anyone have templates or drawings for engine plates to suit Vendetta Mk4 with G50 engine?

Andy Guy

• Alchemy in Grenoside
Re: Engine plates
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 06:30:53 PM »
I imagine your best chance would be to contact John Caffrey himself.
Winners never qui

john caffrey

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 01:45:15 PM »
Have only JUST seen your query but this might help.     Regards Vendetta G50 engine plates.   When we decided to build these frames I decided to lessen cost to riders who had crashed their Seeley Mk4 by making the other components like oil & fuel tanks and. ENGINE PLATES interchangeable.     The difference between a Mk4 Seeley and a Mk4 Vendetta are as follows ;   Vendetta used inch and a quarter "531" for main frame (Seeley inch and an eighth).    Vendetta Swinging Arm inch and three eighths by 14 swg  (Seeley believed to be inch and three eighths by 17 swg).  Vendetta s/arm bearings use Taper Roller bearings not bushes.
Vendetta tube layout as Seeley but have a stiffening tube running from bottom of headstock to upper frame rails.   To answer your question......Seeley engine plates or drawings will work.  I`m currently recovering from (more !) surgery but will TRY to find a Vendetta /G50 template. Hope this helps.    J.C.

Geoff Wells

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 09:20:18 PM »
Hello John,

Your comment re. the use of taper roller bearings for the swinging arm on your chassis caught my attention.  Back in 1980/81 I had what I believe to be a Seeley T500 Suzuki.  It too had taper roller bearings for the s/arm.  Is it possible that it was a Vendetta frame and not a Seeley?

Cheers  Geoff

john caffrey

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 11:03:57 AM »
Hi Geoff,    I`m afraid Vendetta didn`t make a frame for the Suzuki T500.    It`s always possible that another Vendetta was modified to suit that engine though I haven't seen one. perhaps you could
                 send me a couple of photos ?
                 One plus to fitting taper bearings was the ease of replacing them provided the original ( individually dimensioned, and of "531" steel ) pre-load sleeve was used ( and definitely not
                 replaced by a lighter ALLOY sleeve which can crush and stress the frame mounts ! ) - bushes tend to wear oval and need reaming.    I realise this is 37 years late ( ! ) but the knurled
                 footrests mounted directly on the s/arm pivot shaft needs to be pinned or Locktight`ed.
                 There are now excellent combined rotary and thrust bearings available which are even better.    My ultra-lightweight ( Caffrey Racing ) classic trials frames use them as they permit smaller
                 and lighter pivot tubes.
                 Yours in Sport J.C.

Geoff Wells

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 11:35:40 PM »
Hello John,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I only have a few photos taken on a Kodak Instamatic, no 10,000 image memory card and digital cameras back then :D

This chassis certainly had taper roller bearings in the s/arm so maybe someone copied your ideas onto the Seeley s/arm.

Many thanks

Geoff