Author Topic: Another Honda 400/4 for AC500  (Read 31347 times)

Andy Jones

Re: Another Honda 400/4 for AC500
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2018, 02:11:36 PM »
Well a bit of an update on mine and the bikes season so far.

Pembrey - entered 4 races didn't finish any due to fuelling issues.  Though even the limited laps I did manage prompted me to get 3 inch longer rear shocks from Hagon to stop the exhaust scraping.

Oulton - entered 3 races finished 1.  YAY an actual race finish on the bike!!!  Ok it was 10th out of 12 but still a good feeling.

Anglesey BHR - entered 4 races and finished 3 with the first one being a DNS as the bike conked out on the start grid.  However, in the other 3 races I got a 2nd and two 3rds in class and in one race finished 3rd overall in the race beating a lot of more powerful BEARs bikes.  More importantly after another dodgy start on the last race (bike conked out again on the start grid) I managed to really make up time and my best lap of the race 1:25.15 equalled that of the race winner.

The carbs are currently being stripped and cleaned and I believe my issues may have been caused by some remnants of gone off fuel, its just so hard not being able to test the bike fully in between rounds. 
Unfortunately the CRMC race dates don't sit well in my diary so my next race will be BHR Cadwell Park - I might do the CRMC round too but this would mean traveling to Cadwell on two consecutive weekends from Plymouth so its only a maybe at present.

I think its fair to say that I am now feeling positive about the bike and feel I can be competitive on it (though prob not a winner in the CRMC class).  I am still learning how to ride the bike after spending too long on an FJ1100 and I am still tweaking the fuelling as low-mid range is still pretty poor.

Steve Adlem

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »
Finishing races is great for the confidence.... :)

Real progress.

I though about that Cadwell Park thing and concluded that the only way to do it from Normandy would be to stay around Lincolnshire for the week between!  :-\

So whatever happened to the FJ1100 in the end?

Andy Jones

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2018, 06:05:05 PM »
Linking the two Cadwell weekends is very appealing.......go one steve you know you want to ;-). 

Unfortunately with a weeks holiday touring Ireland on my KTM in September I’m not sure I will have either the money or the leave.

The FJ1100 got sold luckily for me just before the AGM where the CRMC decided with no warning to cancel the Senior Production championship.  I have no idea what it’s doing now but I haven’t seen it at any meetings.

Steve Adlem

« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2018, 07:44:17 PM »
Should have said, the Cadwell idea was killed off by my son who booked his wedding for the second weekend!

Andy Jones

« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2018, 02:21:33 PM »
Should have said, the Cadwell idea was killed off by my son who booked his wedding for the second weekend!

Unfortunately when someone is so disorganised they can’t plan around the races you can only blame the parents 😀

Steve Adlem

« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2018, 08:57:55 PM »
Been taking family holidays same weekend as Donington for a number of years!

Being more specific.....I blame the mothers!