Author Topic: Arrow racer  (Read 16061 times)

Nige Collier

Arrow racer
« on: April 25, 2019, 09:50:42 AM »
this is my latest project for the classic 250 class, period Arrow in Velo chassis, well documented bike, should be race ready for 2020 season, any info on racing a Arrow appreciated

Andy Guy

• Alchemy in Grenoside
Re: Arrow racer
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 09:17:10 PM »

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/171300-Oddball-engines-and-prototypes/page151
Winners never qui

Andy Guy

• Alchemy in Grenoside
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 09:21:14 PM »
When the chap down the road looked into a disc valve arrow project he worked out that some of the casting could altered but 75% was to be thrown out. Fahron has the patterns for alloy cylinders but I understand none have been done for a while. Could you be the one to rekindle rons interest.
Winners never qui

Andy Guy

• Alchemy in Grenoside
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 09:35:32 PM »
Winners never qui

Iain Green

• Classic racing since 1990
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 11:25:30 PM »
Fahron has the patterns for alloy cylinders but I understand none have been done for a while.
Ron always had plenty of blank castings on the shelf, be surprised if they've all gone.

Could you be the one to rekindle rons interest.

Nige said ready for 2020 not 2030.....
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics."— George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916

It's the only show where the clowns pay to entertain the crowd.

Andy Guy

• Alchemy in Grenoside
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 12:11:06 AM »
Come on Iain, don't be so pessimistic. Fill Nige with enthusiasm.
We can take the [sample] when its done.

What are his gearbox options?
Winners never qui

Iain Green

• Classic racing since 1990
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 08:27:31 AM »
Pay Nova to make 10 sets and try and sell the rest (I know there's a few people hoping they'll make some more)....
Speak nicely to Pete Coogan to see if he has any spare boxes he'd part with.....
Cut the back off and fit a different box altogether (possible because it's in a different frame)....
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics."— George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916

It's the only show where the clowns pay to entertain the crowd.

Nige Collier

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 06:41:04 PM »
thanks, a few useful things there , will find out if Ron has any cylinders ready to go, ime sure bits will turn up ,they normally do  :D

David Tetley

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 07:25:43 PM »
Saw the project when it was on a certain site, It sounds good to resurrect a period racer. I think it mentioned a magazine article on the bike too?

Nige Collier

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 08:27:30 PM »
Saw the project when it was on a certain site, It sounds good to resurrect a period racer. I think it mentioned a magazine article on the bike too?

its in Roy Bacons Ariel book and was in motorcycle news in the 60's ime told

arthur lewthwaite g50d

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 08:46:47 PM »
hello nige,its all right racing an arrow but watch out   the sharp end of the arrow don'tcatch up with you or the feathers could give you a tigley bum  theres an article on nova gears in the classic bike this month,I can get gearbox parts made  from the originals,i make the blanks and ten get them gear cut and splinednormally in en 39b same as quake uses.

Paul C

• Guests
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 11:39:13 PM »
You might find this old thread on the motorcycle racing nostalgia forum interesting -

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/207556-racing-an-arrer/#entry8568096

Tony Benson

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 06:37:25 PM »
Nova currently advertise a 6 speed box for the Arrow but god knows how much it will cost. Good luck with the project Nige, a mate of mine raced an Arrow in the 70's.
I'm only old on the outside.

Nige Collier

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 06:46:16 PM »
Nova currently advertise a 6 speed box for the Arrow but god knows how much it will cost. Good luck with the project Nige, a mate of mine raced an Arrow in the 70's.

never going to be cheap Tony but ime not in to deep with the project cash wise & it came with a few spare engines, believe it or not one arrow 125 single motor with side induction reed valve & a 500 V4 with two motors doubled up! more of a curiosity than anything usefull lol

Andy Guy

• Alchemy in Grenoside
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 07:52:00 PM »
That reed valve 125 sounds interesting. Not the one Ron did as a magazine competition to create a complete 125 in a time constraint. The 500 would just be one of those projects that never get reliable. I remember Will loader mention a reed valve 250 done in the day. That would make an easier ride with the possibility of equivalent power at lower revs.
Winners never qui