Author Topic: Arrow racer  (Read 4421 times)

Rusty

• Global Moderator
  • Tog
    • Sport-Pics
Re: Arrow racer
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2019, 02:18:43 PM »
If you want any info on racing an Ariel Arrow, Rob Edwards could be your man

Rusty
You are there to be shot at! Sport-Pics

Nige Collier

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 10:04:39 PM »
few updates on the Arrow, the road holders rebuilt with mostly new parts, frames painted & fitted with taper head bearings, the original  rims in process of being re laced by Alf, as for the engine, that's in pieces and needing little other than new seals in bottom end, ive some alloy cylinders on order to replace the old iron ones, also turned out to be fitted with a close ratio gearbox still in great condition, its only 4 speed but I will take that, the outer gearbox case seems unusual as has no fitment for a kickstarter?, would be nice to get out on it at end of this season but unlikely

Nige Collier

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2019, 12:07:18 AM »
some progress  :)

Nige Collier

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2019, 07:17:43 PM »
some more progress , just empty pair of cases in at the moment till race motor finished

Andy Guy

• Alchemy in Grenoside
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2019, 11:17:09 PM »
Nige

From the photo it looks like the swing arm pivots on the bank of the gearbox case and not at all to the frame, is it a figment of my imagination?
Winners never qui

Nige Collier

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2019, 10:37:55 AM »
no worries Andy swing arm pivots through frame and engine, engine is bolted at six points under motor & two at rear

Geoff Wells

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2019, 09:08:21 PM »
An RD/X7/250 MkIII beater if ever I saw one, Nige. Great stuff 8)

Cheers  Geoff

Nige Collier

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2019, 01:02:41 AM »
some progress, hopefully Ron will have my cylinders done soon  :)

Paul'Invacar'Atkins

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2019, 08:02:47 PM »
Wow, Arrows fill the first two 3a places at Snetterton today, now that’s so good to see. Paul.

Iain Green

• Classic racing since 1990
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2019, 01:24:34 AM »
Yeah, but the same old two bikes Paul.  Scary to think we've been running ours since 1986!!!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 09:55:04 AM by Iain Green »
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics."— George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916

It's the only show where the clowns pay to entertain the crowd.

R(Jess)James

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2019, 05:38:23 PM »
Nige,  A photo for you of the Trimnell Arrow at a race meeting probably late 60' or early 70's.   (with fairing fitted)   Very quick out on track they told me with Trimnell being able to get low down on that particular machine.   It was forwarded to me by the Tandy brothers quite recently, they used to race Arrows in the 60's.   Sadly Geoffrey Tandy passed away in 2017.....   sorry about the quality just how it was sent to me.....   Jess

Nige Collier

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2019, 07:07:33 PM »
that's brilliant I wasn't sure if it ran a full fairing , it certainly is low, ive had to fit longer fork stauntions (they were bent anyway) & shock absorbers as far to small for me to ride, ime only waiting on Ron doing cylinders and will be good to go

R(Jess)James

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2019, 09:33:37 AM »
I know Ron well, he lives just down the road from me and has done lots of porting work for my  Arrow engines,  last week during a visit  I reminded him that you are waiting for the Alloy Barrels, hopefully he will finish them off for you soon.   I try not to visit too often as every visitor he gets keeps him from getting on with his work.
Regarding the Trimnell Arrow,  I have a press cutting about the machine from around the time that Rex built it,  have you got a copy of it?  probably would be the same article, if not let me know and I will find it and forward it,  might take some time though as I've got loads of pictures and articles on file printed on the Ariel Arrow, well, at least those that I've got to know about, on computer or paper form kept in binders but not having an index yet is not easy to search through.....   .      Jess   

Nige Collier

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2019, 06:21:56 PM »
yes I have a photo copy of the article, ive been fiddling with the motor today making a new inlet manifold