Author Topic: Brexit and Racing outside the UK.  (Read 646 times)

Ian Champ

• Guests
Brexit and Racing outside the UK.
« on: January 21, 2020, 06:27:10 PM »
Well today I learned from HM Gov that following our official exit from the EU (1 January 2021?) or earlier if the House of Lords keep messing about, that all those wishing to race in Belgium, France, Germany or Netherlands etc., will be required to get an ATA Carnet to cover their sidecar/solo race bike.
ATA Carnet will only be applicable if the vehicles are freighted / transported to each racing venue and then used within the racing circuit only.
Cost of an ATA Carnet is as follows:
Issuing fee: £351.60
Security Fee = £50.00, plus
Additional Security Fee= £6.00, plus
Issuing Fee = £55.50 equals
   Sub Total = £111.50, plus
Final VAT = £22.30, which equals
   Total = £133.80
So a grand total of £485.40
One ATA Carnet will cover multiple trips for a period of 12 months from the date of issue.
The Carnet would be endorsed on the way out of the UK first, and then on entry into EU, followed by exit from the EU and re-entry into UK (there are no internal borders within the EU, hence, all checks are done at the external borders).
A little more to budget for I'm afraid. I wonder how many competitors will not partake any longer...?
If the throttle is not wide open, and the clutch not fully out, I'm not doing it right.

Gordon Jones

• TZ stuff
Re: Brexit and Racing outside the UK.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 07:51:05 PM »
Not really unexpected - although the costs are more than I was hoping they would be.
I saw this coming a long time ago - as will anyone who encountered the carnet system years ago - whatever your feelings on Brexit - if you enjoy racing on the continent - which many of us do - this is not welcome - and I have to wonder how many thought there would be no adverse consequences on leaving the EU.
Certainly puts in doubt whether we will be able to do any of the Belgian meetings again - I'm guessing the carnet will not be the only extra costs - time will tell...
2 strokes are the future.....
http://www.tz350.co.uk

David Tetley

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 11:28:18 PM »
Per bike?

Robin Scudder

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 12:51:19 AM »
What did people do about health coverage while racing in Europe?  It's been 20 years since I last did and I'm sure things have changed in that time.

Gordon Jones

• TZ stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 12:15:34 PM »
Per bike?
David - as far as I can remember - it used to be for everything you take over - so you had to list everything in your transporter / truck / van - bike (s) tools - everything taken out of the country had to be taken back - or they assumed you'd been flogging stuff...

What did people do about health coverage while racing in Europe?  It's been 20 years since I last did and I'm sure things have changed in that time.
Robin - in recent years the EHIC health insurance card covered you for health while you were anywhere in the EU - race insurance would be covered in the entry fees - in Belgium - the entry covers re-patriation - I've not seen anything to say whether the EHIC will continue - have to assume it will not - so we'll all need to take out and pay for (probably) much more expensive travel / health insurance - not only for the guys racing - but for the whole team / crew / family.
Just what the future arrangements could be is yet to be discovered - I've a feeling it's all going to end up being a lot more difficult (read far more expensive) to "pop over" to race in "europe" as we've been doing in recent years as part of the EU.
2 strokes are the future.....
http://www.tz350.co.uk