Author Topic: Covid 19  (Read 6256 times)

Dave Chadwick

• Forum Member
Re: Covid 19
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2020, 10:08:42 AM »
Yes suspect so.
On another theme best to leave politics off this forum, it has no place on here. The UK these days unfortunately seems to be full of knowitalls who criticise but could do no better. The current situation is incredibly complex and can't be fixed in few days. Enjoy the racing when it returns.
In deference to this, I've put away my pitchfork, extinguished my flaming torch, and cancelled my Wat Tyler Fan Club membership, despite the fact that Covid 19 and Politics are inextricably entangled. The A) Government and B)Police are under deserved criticism for A) late reaction to the problem B) overzealousness since the Special Powers act was passed. One doesn't need to be a "knowitall" to be aware of the slide to fascism in the UK , why, the Special Powers Act had been intended by the Government to last two years before renewal, and only an amendment brought about the reduction to six months.
I am old enough to remember the numerous occasions when the Police have rolled out their band of thugs, currently called the Territorial Support Group, to brutally suppress even the most peaceful of protest ; the Police then stand by while successive Governments reduce their numbers as a thank you!
As to this not being a place for Politics, this Section is headed "Spectators", and while not necessarily discussing Politics when at race meetings, I have often found myself talking about more than just the weather with fellow Spectators.
Life would be very dull if we had to guard our opinions for fear of the thought Police. I susoect Mr Collins's strictures are more to do with the fact that I have expressed aview different to his.  Consult Voltaire for a little quote about the right to free speech :(

Simon Collins

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2020, 12:19:36 PM »
Dave, you have no idea of my views or background but I was involved in the miners strike. Think what you will but I'm more interested in bikes and racing.

Dave Chadwick

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2020, 12:47:23 PM »
Dave, you have no idea of my views or background but I was involved in the miners strike. Think what you will but I'm more interested in bikes and racing.
[/quote
You made your views clear when attempting to stifle discussion on a thread started by someone other than myself; perhaps you prefer that no discussion on Covid 19 take place,in the absence of racing itself. The pandemic affects us all, and given the opportunity to discuss the handling of it by those who consider themselves our betters, by birth and education, I felt particularly annoyed to be called a knowitall, by someone who, as you say, knows not my background, except to say that my views are not formed by the Murdoch media, or the Barclay Brothers Telegraph, and the Daily Mail.
As it happens, you got what you wanted : apart from the occasional very humourous one liners, there has been little true exchange of views on the Spectator Section's thread entitled "Covid-19". It's all very well to post a sentence on the lack of prospect of racing, but  I had hoped to see some more thoughtful comment on the pandemic and its effect in the UK.

To the Mods:  if you feel I have overstepped the mark, so be it, please remove me from the Forum, my posts have been few, but some people don't like the stark truth.

Spen

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2020, 01:56:40 PM »
My posts re GOV.UK removed, what a surprise!

Well I haven’t removed them and other than myself and the person posting, nobody else can delete them.....

jim crocker

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2020, 02:16:01 PM »
Humble apologies Spen I hit the wrong button! Yes I am a [nice chap]! I will remove my comment.

Simon Collins

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2020, 02:54:13 PM »
Me as well. Didn't mean to offend. Perhaps start a politics section?

Andy Lee

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2020, 08:57:56 PM »
Yes suspect so.
On another theme best to leave politics off this forum, it has no place on here. The UK these days unfortunately seems to be full of knowitalls who criticise but could do no better. The current situation is incredibly complex and can't be fixed in few days. Enjoy the racing when it returns.
In deference to this, I've put away my pitchfork, extinguished my flaming torch, and cancelled my Wat Tyler Fan Club membership, despite the fact that Covid 19 and Politics are inextricably entangled. The A) Government and B)Police are under deserved criticism for A) late reaction to the problem B) overzealousness since the Special Powers act was passed. One doesn't need to be a "knowitall" to be aware of the slide to fascism in the UK , why, the Special Powers Act had been intended by the Government to last two years before renewal, and only an amendment brought about the reduction to six months.

I am old enough to remember the numerous occasions when the Police have rolled out their band of thugs, currently called the Territorial Support Group, to brutally suppress even the most peaceful of protest ; the Police then stand by while successive Governments reduce their numbers as a thank you!
As to this not being a place for Politics, this Section is headed "Spectators", and while not necessarily discussing Politics when at race meetings, I have often found myself talking about more than just the weather with fellow Spectators.
Life would be very dull if we had to guard our opinions for fear of the thought Police. I susoect Mr Collins's strictures are more to do with the fact that I have expressed aview different to his.  Consult Voltaire for a little quote about the right to free speech :(

Crikey, it's only been a week. August is gonna be brill!  ;D

ken platt

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2020, 10:49:08 PM »
Getting a little heavy here chaps . So here is a true fairy story .Went to hospital 21 days ago with Covid 19 and pneumonia of

both lungs . After two lung X rays was told to tell the wife I would no survive the night , did so .The Doctor came 3 days later and
 wanted to explain why he  said I would not live . Went away with a flea it his ear .

You cannot get rid of a cranky old 87 as easy as that . I`ve got  the Weslake 750 and the 350 Bultaco to watch next year .  ;D ;D
Remember you and all men are standing on the shoulders of giants

Charles Murdoch

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2020, 12:34:05 PM »
New update from the ACU.

https://www.acu.org.uk/News/2020/05/ACU-and-AMCA-plan-return-to-motorcycle-sport/

Present aim to review 1 June try and restart from 4 July.

arthur lewthwaite g50d

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2020, 08:46:38 PM »
ken just saw your post on you having cover 19, was that a long stroke cranky or a short stroke cranky you were on about,remember watching the cranky on tv one was long the other short. p. :'(

ken platt

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2020, 12:03:36 AM »
Arthur ,
              It is one of each it`s one short and one long , Bultaco short , Weslake long .

I am they said I  had Covid 19 , but lucky for me they got it wrong , I believe I was one of the 10% with a

False Positive result  that is I never had it .

Cranky long or short take your pick , I`ve been like this all my life , to mean to die , cos I want to keep costing 

Johnson and his cronies money , Pension , NHS , blue badges , etc . etc.
Remember you and all men are standing on the shoulders of giants