Author Topic: Starter Project  (Read 8312 times)

arthur lewthwaite g50d

Starter Project
« on: August 16, 2014, 05:05:45 PM »
Hi all, we have just about finished making and testing our prototype Paddock Starters.  Below are some images of the prototype before it goes for spraying and final assembly.  Once completed we be selling these online and are currently working out the final production and selling prices. 
The starter itself is easy to carry and move around, and once finished will allow the starting of bikes pushed on the starter, or when the started is turned the other way round it will allow the starting of bikes on the stand and also side cars when the rear wheel is lifted just of the ground.

We have tried to make this a multi purpose starter and so far tests have proved this to work well, as can be seen in the images below.  I have also attached a video showing how light and easy this is to move around like a trolley.  We are now looking at a removable battery tray that will attach to the starter to make moving around even easier and in one complete unit when wheeled along

Let us know what you think and we will be coming along to some meetings to demonstrate it working!!

We have attached a video at the bottom just to show how easy this is to move around and will be adding the starter in action soon!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jenny Westwood

Re: Starter Project
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 10:00:12 PM »
It's an ingenious design Arthur.   :)

I'm guessing that the extra hole on the side is for moving the front roller forward for larger diameter wheels?

The only thing I might add to it would be perhaps a small handle on the side to avoid trapping fingers when laying it flat. Apart from that it's brilliant.

arthur lewthwaite g50d

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 11:12:27 AM »
hello jenny,the reason there is whole at the front was that the original design had the starter motor on the outside at the centre of the driving wheel,driving directly into the shaft,this made the unit tilt to the side when wheeling around,so i  moved starter inside to router act this,then found the wheel diameter just touched the starter motor so re drilled plate to counter act this,the handle does not catch your fingers luckily enough,there is a run up plate to be fotted where handle is to run wheel up over front roller,this is being mad at present and has cut out to allow lifting of handle,the battery tray is also being made and will just cp itself on when you run unit uptoit,tip it back slightly and wheel tray with battery attached to where ever you need it,just tip forward to detach.

David Tetley

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 12:31:23 PM »
That looks great Arthur, I like the fact it can be used both methods (Ie: on a stand or a roll on starter)

What is the input voltage?

arthur lewthwaite g50d

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 04:21:54 PM »
hello david,runs of 12 volt battery,uses jaguar xj40 geared starter motor remachined for purpose,the unit spins so well though of fitting a battery between frames and front forks and wheel where handle is plus third wheel to create mini motor sized sidecar out fit for youngsters to have a go on,would have to lower rear drive wheel in frames to drive on road,basis of an idea :)

arthur lewthwaite g50d

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 11:50:08 PM »
at snetterton spoke to a crmc guy,offering my original prototype starter to the club free of charge to take to meetings and use in holding area to start bikes if required,i also offered to give a starter as a form of  sponsorship for the person who was deemed as putting in the best performance on standard engine bike over season,in other words no 92bore shortened stroke,4 valve,super fan dangled replicas,just good old standard engines,the conversation  basically went can't stop now got get to a meal and p,up,ill take your details and contact you in the next few days,okay name and number taken, got to hurry going to meal and p,up,are you going that way,yes if you have one minute to look in boot of my car as you pas it you can quickly see starter so you know what it looks like only take 30 seconds as you pass my car outside,sorry really havnt got time got to get to meal and p.up contact you in week.man disappears heard no more since.at least jim redman had the decency to talk with me for ten minutes.he was left standing on his own also.suppose i may as well make the offer to bemsee instead

Nige Collier

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 12:42:28 AM »
at snetterton spoke to a crmc guy,offering my original prototype starter to the club free of charge to take to meetings and use in holding area to start bikes if required,i also offered to give a starter as a form of  sponsorship for the person who was deemed as putting in the best performance on standard engine bike over season,in other words no 92bore shortened stroke,4 valve,super fan dangled replicas,just good old standard engines,the conversation  basically went can't stop now got get to a meal and p,up,ill take your details and contact you in the next few days,okay name and number taken, got to hurry going to meal and p,up,are you going that way,yes if you have one minute to look in boot of my car as you pas it you can quickly see starter so you know what it looks like only take 30 seconds as you pass my car outside,sorry really havnt got time got to get to meal and p.up contact you in week.man disappears heard no more since.at least jim redman had the decency to talk with me for ten minutes.he was left standing on his own also.suppose i may as well make the offer to bemsee instead

at Bemsee the bikes have starter motors

arthur lewthwaite g50d

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 12:02:54 PM »
ar well same as crmc club they won't want it either should have said brmc,couldn't think of riht one at midnight.

Iain Green

• Classic racing since 1990
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 06:55:10 PM »
Arthur,
That is a very generous offer to the club, which I am sure would be gratefully received (certainly the sponsorship offer, whewhether the club needs use of a starter I am not sure).

However, I have to say that a casual chat in the paddock at the end of the days racing is probably not the optimum time to make such an offer. The other party probably did have prior arrangements following a busy day running round after us lot (even if it is just food and beer) and I could easily imagine they have received plenty of 'verbal paddock sponsorship' offers over the years that have not come to fruition.
I would urge you to email Mark George to confirm your offer in writing and I am sure it will be very gratefully accepted.
All the best
Iain
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics."— George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916

It's the only show where the clowns pay to entertain the crowd.

Paul'Invacar'Atkins

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 09:19:41 PM »
The Husband and wife team of "SOLO Starters" used to come to various CRMC meetings some time back and saved my bacon at Croft ROY when Mike Smith was out in the previous race and only "Just" got back to me as I had the Greeves on the starters and out he went and won on his first and only ride. Thanks Solo starters.  I'm sure I would very much apreciate that facility again. Thank you for the generous offer Arthur.

arthur lewthwaite g50d

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 07:41:15 PM »
thanks seen for that .these starters are all sprayed up in orange and black now,look really good.

Rob Wittey

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 01:10:54 PM »
How much are they? my dad needs something for home so could be 240 or 12v

Kerry Wilton

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 05:20:21 AM »
...also interested..

arthur lewthwaite g50d

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2020, 06:00:24 PM »
for starter query sent pm.will get my son to post picture of fully spread starter with fitted ramp.

Chris Tyler

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2020, 08:19:27 PM »
Arthur
Can you tell us the price please.