Author Topic: Another Honda 400/4 for AC500  (Read 29879 times)

m.l.hartshorne

• Forum Member
Re: Another Honda 400/4 for AC500
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 11:45:00 AM »
Hi Andy
I parade a 550/4 which to was a road bike conversion,I have gone for the standard road going single piston brake setup x2 as my bike has a twin disc setup and stops extremely well

Andy Jones

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 06:08:52 PM »
Hi Andy
I parade a 550/4 which to was a road bike conversion,I have gone for the standard road going single piston brake setup x2 as my bike has a twin disc setup and stops extremely well

great looking bike.  i have read that a 550 front end swap is a popular mod for the 400 as it gives the twin discs.  However the yokes have different offsets and different front wheel size too.

I think I will stick with standard and then upgrade the calliper when funds allow.   

Looking at that photo though does have me longing for one of those fuel tanks.

Kim hicks

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 09:58:01 PM »
 I have a Honda nc30 that I used coloured LED's for oil and neutral warning lights, they are strictly not needed but they are so bright ,even with direct sunlight shining ,you can see if you have left the ign on. They are also polarity  sensitive so care is needed connecting up.
 Standard front brake will be "ok" if you renew all the seals and pads etc. and use an use armoured brake hose &  make sure everything is free to move & revolve.
   Sell all the excess bits on flea bay to provide some dosh!
   Personally ,I would not use a 460 kit, due to possible oil leaks from the head gasket area,
  For electrics try "Marcus" at "rex's speed shop". Who designs all sorts of ign components for many makes of bikes. Who might be able to make a self generating ign.

Nige Collier

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 11:33:09 PM »
if you dont fit a 460 kit dont expect to keep up in aircooled? why would it leak? i use copper gaskets with hylomar , sorted

Kim hicks

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 01:02:48 PM »
Hi Nige, I still think there would be other ways to improve the bike besides fitting a big bore kit.I did not know  anyone had made a copper head gasket for a 460/4, And watch out for hylomar, If a bit squeeze's out of a joint, a LOT more squeezes inside.

Nige Collier

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 01:40:10 PM »
Hi Nige, I still think there would be other ways to improve the bike besides fitting a big bore kit.I did not know  anyone had made a copper head gasket for a 460/4, And watch out for hylomar, If a bit squeeze's out of a joint, a LOT more squeezes inside.
not true Kim , hylomar blue virtually dries as you apply it , not at all like normal instant gasket and never any squeeze out not that it would cause a issue anyway, as for copper head gaskets plenty out there that will make one, club member Terry Davies for instance makes mine
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 08:14:30 AM by Nige Collier »

Andy Jones

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 03:32:51 PM »
I must be well overdue an update on this thread so here goes:

Engine - it is now back in one piece having been rebored by DM Engineering and rebuilt with one of their camshafts and with a nice shiny set of stainless engine bolts fitted.  Also decided to paint it matt black.  Unfortunately getting the engine apart did not go smoothly.  4 of the engine studs would not come out no matter what I tried (heat, impact, welding a nut on, stud extractor).  This resulted in 4 snapped studs having to be drilled out and a good degree of swearing and cursing.

The front end has been taken apart and rebuilt with some decent oil and springs supplied by RaceTech - surprising how much shorter they are than the standard but they did come with some decent tubing for preload spacers.  Also have new clip-ons with Venhill quick action throttle and levers and a replacement master cylinder.  The back end has some nice new Hagon shocks fitted.

Raask rearsets fitted - but probably need some fine tuning to work out best position when combined with the DM seat unit so I can squeeze my not-so-race sized frame on the bike. 

The dodgy old aftermarket exhaust has been replaced by a NOS set of downpipes from David Silver - maybe not the best for performance but they just look so nice.  This will be finished off with a single race cone silencer.

The frame has also gone on a diet with all unnecessary lugs removed.  Fortunately I got an excellent paint match to the red powder coating.

Progress has been hampered by the engine studs, followed by a holiday riding Harley's across America and then most recently by a house move - isn't it always a good idea to move a motorbike that's in bits!!

Bits left to do include:

Wiring loom, battery mount and Tacho
Carb rebuild and then set up on dyno
Chain and sprockets
Fuel tank valve
Brackets and fixings for seat, tank and fairing - can't wait to get the tank and fairing painted too!
Catch tanks
Chain guard
Throttle and Clutch cables
Braided hose
Wheels and tyres

Andy Jones

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 03:33:53 PM »
engine

Andy Jones

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 03:34:36 PM »
forks

Andy Jones

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 03:35:08 PM »
angle grinder handywork

Andy Jones

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 03:35:49 PM »
tank

Andy Jones

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 03:36:22 PM »
as she currently sits

Steve Adlem

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2017, 01:18:21 PM »
Good progress Andy....moving house is 'disruptive'...feels like I have lost a year in project time!

Question about the exhaust; do you think you might have issues with ground clearance?

Would be a pity to grind that NOS setup away. A custom set up might be less than you think and more cost effective in the long run.

Andy Jones

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 07:19:05 PM »
Question about the exhaust; do you think you might have issues with ground clearance?

It definitely a potential problem that has crossed my mind.  In the end I thought I would see how tucked in I could get a race silencer using the original downpipes with the thinking being that I will probably have a ton of other things to sort before ground clearance becomes an issue.  Jumping off an FJ1100 on to this I will basically have to learn how to ride again anyway😄😄😄

Steve Adlem

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2017, 01:28:39 PM »

It definitely a potential problem that has crossed my mind.  In the end I thought I would see how tucked in I could get a race silencer using the original downpipes with the thinking being that I will probably have a ton of other things to sort before ground clearance becomes an issue.  Jumping off an FJ1100 on to this I will basically have to learn how to ride again anyway😄😄😄

May be worthy of note that my recollection of 400 4s racing in the '70s/80s was that they pretty much all had a race exhaust, 4 into 1 with a very central collector box....maximum ground clearance.  With skinny tyres like 90/90 front 110/80 rear, you may be surprised how quickly you are getting cranked over a fair way.