Author Topic: DIY cams  (Read 5865 times)

Andy Guy

• Alchemy in Grenoside
Re: DIY cams
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2020, 10:59:57 PM »
I find it best to record the F1 Ron. On those hot nights when you struggle to sleep, gently playing it in the background lets you slip into a deep coma.

Garry Abbott and I are slowly working on the roller followers for the bsa rather than the Macchi. Your help on the subject will be much appreciated as I get back onto the project. Don't worry though it will be during the winter.
Winners never qui

Ron Herring

Re: DIY cams
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2021, 08:07:51 PM »
Having decided that F1 is no longer of interest to me, and having watched my better half repaint two of the rooms in the house, the time has now come to remove the dust sheets in the workshop and get cracking again on something  that doesn't require any bendng of the knee .
Little going on yet at home, but racing is taking place in NZ, USA and several other countries, so a couple of new valve lift designs have been started, both for pushrod engines used for racing purposes.

To arrive at a good static design is relatively easy, but to have it function well in it's dynamic form rather more difficult. Copying an DOHC design for intended use in a pushrod engine is always going to be an unsatisfactory result because the DOHC engine does not need any compensation built into the valve lift design, as does the pushrod engine. There are no rockers to flex or pushrods to bend, within a couple of degrees you get dynamically what has been designed statically. Pushrod valve events, especially exhaust opening, can vary as much as 20 degrees from the static design, all because of the flex within the valve train.

Gary, Andy, copy good samples as accurately as you can, but should you have ideas about your own designs, do get well into the subject by reading up as much as you can find. All the old cam designers had to start somewhere, and so did the new ones. No one has a monopoly of good ideas so go ahead and good luck with the project.