Author Topic: Advice on baffles - Losing low down power when fitted!!  (Read 1095 times)

Keith Brown

Advice on baffles - Losing low down power when fitted!!
« on: December 27, 2020, 06:27:29 PM »
Hoping one of you out there has had a bit of experience on baffling their bike that can help me.

I have built a Ducati 900ss for track use - It has a 2:2 exhaust system with no link pipe. Good power and torque running unbaffled cans (I think 400mm long 60mm outlet) but when the baffles are fitted, although from circa 5K to say 9K power/torque is unaffected, below this both arewell below the unbaffled performance.

To be honest I was expecting the opposite effect ie baffles would hurt top end power.

The baffles i tried came with the pipes / SP Engineering - Drilled outer part with undrilled centre tube that is open at the internal end.

Any suggestions on how to baffle the system without losing low down power.torque?

Thanks

Nige Collier

Re: Advice on baffles - Losing low down power when fitted!!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 08:10:57 AM »
cant see how you can fit baffles and not lose power somewhere , ide play with carbs , drop needle maybe

Andy Guy

• Alchemy in Grenoside
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 09:16:18 AM »
Has fitting or removing the baffle altered the dimension of the whole exhaust at all. ie length or internal dimeter?
Winners never qui

Kerry Wilton

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 11:13:18 PM »
Run on a dyno with an exhaust gas analyses, with and without baffles and see where the fueling is?  Might at least allow you to see where there could be improvements to be had...