Author Topic: Brake Lever Guard  (Read 351 times)

R(Jess)James

Brake Lever Guard
« on: April 27, 2021, 07:45:30 PM »
Have just been reading about the requirement to have a brake lever guard fitted for Race and Parade riding,  there is however an exemption for Classic Machines,  I presume there is a yearly date that differentiates between Classic Machines and Post Classic machines,  can someone kindly tell me what that date is, or putting it another way, do I need to fit a brake guard to my 1961 and 1962 Ariel Arrows that I Parade ride,  are they classed as Classic or Post Classic?.    Thank you.     Roger

Iain Green

• Classic racing since 1990
Re: Brake Lever Guard
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 08:39:57 PM »
Definitely classic!!! Pre 72 is the (generally) accepted definition for classic racing bikes.  You can rest easy (for now)....
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics."— George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916

It's the only show where the clowns pay to entertain the crowd.

R(Jess)James

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 10:41:37 PM »
Thanks Iain,  that's a relief, a bit too close to Mallory to have to start sorting those out on top of a few problems re suitable transport at the moment.    This might be my last year of Parade riding as I will be seventy next January and I'm not sure about having to go through the procedure to get an ACU Parade license,   not saying no, will look closer at what's required nearer the time.    Hope to see you at one of the meetings this year.     Roger 

Rene Chinnery

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 04:09:15 AM »
Roger - I had the same worry about my 1966 Greeves Silverstone and looking at the CRMC definitions on the website, a 1966 two-stroke just squeaks in as a classic:

Classic 2 (Previously Period 2)
Four stroke machines = from 1st January 1964 to 31st December 1972

Two stroke machines = from 1st January 1964 to 31st December 1967

You should be comfortably in the classic 1 definition. 

Classic 1 (Previously Period 1)
All machines = 1st January 1945 and 31st December 1963

However, I have bought a brake lever guard to have in my tool box just in case!   ;D Rene

R(Jess)James

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 08:21:32 PM »
Thank you, I'll print this off if I can and take it with me to future meetings.   Roger